No matter how careful you are when moving, there’s a good chance that you’ll forget something along the way. In fact, there are a few tasks and items that a commonly forgotten by those who are moving to a new home. We’ve put together a list of five important (and often forgotten) tasks that you should make sure to put on your to-do list before you forget them yourself!
- Bank Accounts: Here’s a problem that can cause you some serious headaches if you don’t plan ahead. About a month before you move, it’s a good idea to open a new checking account in your new city and begin depositing funds in that account. Granted, this is less of an issue if you’re making a small move, or if you use a major national bank with a branch in your new town. However, if you’re moving to a new province and you’re stuck with an account at an old local bank, accessing funds or writing checks might be challenging.
- The Final Cleaning: It’s easy to forget about the next owner or renter of your current home, but you will have to do one, final thorough cleaning of your place before you leave. Not only is it easy to overlook this, but it’s also common to forget to keep cleaning products on hand to do a proper job. Of course, if all this sounds like a hassle considering everything else you need to do when moving, there’s an easier (if more expensive) option: arrange for a cleaning service to clean for you.
- Returns and Pickups: Chances are that you have at least a few items that need to be returned before you move, like movie rentals or library books. Similarly, there are probably a few things you need to pick up, like dry cleaning or items you held in storage.
- Make Arrangements for Pets: We’ve talked about this more extensively in other articles, but make sure that you plan ahead for cats, dogs, or other pets. They won’t be able to travel on the moving van, so you’ll need to find alternate arrangements for pets (such as having them travel with the family if you’ll be driving to your new home).
- Hidden Items: Do you have any hidden valuables stored away somewhere secret in your home? If so, make sure you remember not to leave them behind! Actually, it’s best not to place these items like these on the moving van; instead, carry them with you personally, or use a safe deposit box to keep them secure.